What are the Requirements for Motor Vehicle Registration? 

In the Philippines, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) works hard to ensure the safety and legality of vehicles on the road. To achieve this, the LTO established rules and regulations, along with mandatory registrations, and enforced its strict implementation to ensure accountability. 

If you are a proud car owner in the Philippines, then you will also need to start your driving journey by getting your car registered. To do so, you will need to understand and adhere to the requirements, so your car will be duly registered and deemed safe for driving. Doing so means you will have to prepare the requirements for motor vehicle registrations and try to convince the agency that your motor vehicle meets the necessary safety standards to be allowed to operate. To this end, here are all the specifics of LTO motor vehicle registration, including the detailed requirements. 

lto motor vehicle car registration requirements

What is Motor Vehicle Registration

Motor Vehicle (MV) Registration refers to the procedures of getting the first most important process for every car and car owner done. The procedure creates a unique identifier—the registered plate numbers—which helps the government create a link between vehicles and its owners and users, making the vehicle easy to trace and monitor. Plus, MV registrations ensure that the car is always in tiptop condition and able to keep its driver and passengers safe and out of harm’s way every time. 

MV Registration Classification

All motor vehicles are mandated by law to be registered under one of the following described classifications:

  • private passenger automobiles; 
  • private trucks; and 
  • private motorcycles, scooters, or motor wheel attachments. 
  • Public utility automobiles; 
  • public utility trucks; 
  • taxis and auto-calesas; 
  • garage automobiles; 
  • garage trucks; 
  • hire trucks: and 
  • trucks owned by contractors and customs brokers and customs agents. 
  • Undertakes
  • Dealers 
  • Government automobiles; 
  • government trucks; and 
  • government motorcycles. 
  • Tourists bringing their own motor vehicles
  • Special

What are the Requirements for Motor Vehicle Registration

To ensure that your motor vehicle will be registered at the LTO without much problems, here’s a list of all the required documents for the registration of your car.

General Requirements for Initial Registration of Brand New Motor Vehicles

To initiate the initial registration process for Brand New Locally Assembled / Manufactured Completely Built Units (CBU) / Imported CBUs / Brand A Imported Trailer

Additional Requirements for Specific Cases

Depending on the type of registration classification or vehicle size and weight, here’s a list of some additional documentary requirement:

Brand new motorcycle with sidecar (TC)

  • Original Affidavit of Attachment for sidecar executed by the owner and mechanic stating among other the date of completion

Tax Exempt

  • Original duly accomplished Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR) with Certificate of Compliance to Emission Standard (CCES), if used imported
  • Certified true copy of Release Certificate, if used imported
  • DFA Endorsement

Used-Imported Exempted from EO 156/877-A

  • One (1) photocopy of Commercial invoice / Certificate of Title with English translation authenticated by the Embassy
  • Original duly accomplished Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR) with Certificate of Compliance to Emission Standard (CCES)

Used-Imported Through the No Dollar Importation

  • One (1) photocopy of Commercial invoice of Motor Vehicle or Certificate of Title issued by the country of origin
  • Original / certified true copy of Authority under the No Dollar Importation. If no authority, Seizure Proceedings and Notice of Award
  • Original Affidavit of first and last importation
  • Original duly accomplished Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR) with Certificate of Compliance to Emission Standard (CCES)
  • Certified true copy of Release Certificate

Rebuilt Trucks and Buses With New Or Used Imported Engine and/or Chassis

  • One (1) photocopy of Commercial / Sales Invoice from country of origin
  • Original Affidavit of Rebuilt executed by the accredited rebuilder, stating among others the date of completion
  • Original Certificate of Stock Reported (CSR) of rebuilt truck / bus
  • One (1) Certified true copy of DTI – FTEB Endorsement
  • One (1) photocopy of Certificate of Payment issued if parts/components are imported

Imported Motor Vehicles Acquired through Public Bidding

  • One (1) Certified true copy of Official Receipt evidencing payment of acquisition cost
  • One (1) Certified true copy of the Notice of Award

Required Fees

Other than the documents, motor vehicle registration requires funds to cover for payment of the LTO fees. 

These LTO fees include the following: 

  • Initial Fee: ₱ 1,000.00
  • Stickers and tags: ₱ 50.00 each
  • New Plate Number: ₱ 450.00
  • Inspection fees: ₱ 90.00 to ₱ 115.00
  • Penalty fee: If you fail to show up during the schedule of your car’s registration: ₱ 50.00
  • Other fees: Motor Vehicle User’s Charge (MVUC) which may vary depending on the vehicle’s gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), year of registration, and vehicle classification which may vary as follows:
    • Light vehicles: Passenger cars with a GVWR of up to 1,600kg.
    • Medium vehicles:Vehicles with a GVWR between 1,601kg and 2,300kg.
    • Heavy vehicles: Vehicles with a GVWR of 2,301kg or higher.

After paying for these fees, you may need to wait for your turn at the releasing counter. Usually, registrants are allowed to collect the Official Receipt and Certificate of Registration (OR/CR), number plates, stickers, and other relevant documents on the same day. 

To check on the corresponding MVUC for your motor vehicle, you may check this guide on MVUC and other LTO fees.

Important Reminders

For your reference, here are some things you need to remember w2hen going to any of the LTO offices in the Philippines for motor vehicle registration:

  • Motor vehicles registered under the first three classifications (for private vehicles) must not be used for hire under any circumstances including usage related to activities to solicit, accept, or be used to transport passengers or freight for pay.
  • Laborers necessary to handle freight on board private trucks may ride on such trucks provided that they satisfy the following conditions:
    • No seats shall be installed in the rear compartment 
    • Only a small number of laborers, not exceeding ten, are allowed to ride on the truck
    • The combined weight of cargo and passengers does not exceed the registered net capacity of the truck.
  • Vehicles used to carry freight not belonging to the registered owner, passengers who are not related by consanguinity or affinity within the fourth civil degree to the owner, shall be conclusively presumed to be “for hire.”
  • No person shall be allowed to register as a private truck.
  • Registrations under the dealers classification are intended to cover generally and successively all the motor vehicles imported or handled by dealers for sale. 
  • Motor vehicles registered under the dealer’s classification are dedicated only for the purpose of transporting the vehicle itself from the pier or factory to the warehouse or sales room or for delivery to a prospective purchaser or for test or demonstration.
  • Motor vehicles owned by the Government of the Philippines or any of its political subdivisions shall be registered as government automobiles. 
  • Motor vehicles owned by government corporations, by government employees or by foreign governments are not considered government automobiles.
  • Tourists bringing their own motor vehicles to the Philippines may use their car without registering, provided that they satisfy the following conditions:
    • The motor vehicles are used within ninety days of their sojourn: 
    • The motor vehicle displays the number plates for the current year of some other country or state,
    • The said number plates as well as the name and address (permanent and temporary) of the owner thereof are registered in the Land Transportation Commission prior to the operation of the motor vehicle. 
    • If the tourists remain in the Philippines longer than ninety days, the motor vehicle shall not be operated unless registered in the LTO and until the corresponding registration fees are paid.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

For more information, here are some common questions and answers related to the requirements for motor vehicle registrations:

1. Can I possibly change my motor vehicle plate number? 

No. The LTO doesn’t allow change of plate number. Under Batas Pambansa Blg. 43: An Act Providing Number Plates to Owners of Motor Vehicles and Trailers, Amending for the Purpose Section Seventeen of Republic Act Numbered Forty-One Hundred and Thirty-Six, specifically Section 1, Sec. 17, the identification and letters of any motor vehicle number plate shall be permanently assigned to such motor vehicle during its lifetime. The only acceptable change in plate assignment is when a change in denomination or classification is transacted/effected, i.e. from a private vehicle to for-hire or government to private, etc. 

2. How much is the LTO fine for a late motor vehicle registration? 

LTO imposes a weekly fine for late motor vehicle registration amounting to ₱ 200.00  And if the payment is delayed for a month, the fine shall become 50% of the MVUC. 

3. I want to buy a second hand motor vehicle. How can I be sure that the OR & CR are genuine? 

If you are buying a secondhand car, you must have both the Certificate of Registration (CR) and Official Receipt (OR) verified for its authenticity at the LTO Property Section, East Avenue, Quezon City. You may also verify the plate number by following the steps listed in this guide to LTO Plate Number Check. 


The motor vehicle registration at the LTO is one of the first things that needs to be done by any new car owner. It is a simple process but in case you need a little help in getting yourself prepared to register your motor vehicles, then this guide on the list of requirements for motor vehicle registration can help you. 

error: Content is protected !!