People generally own various official identity documents that can attest not only to their identity but also to their age and address. One such document is the driver’s license issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) in the Philippines. An LTO driver’s license is an identity document issued to roadworthy drivers which gives them the authority to operate certain motor vehicles on public roads. It contains the driver’s name and other more sensitive biographical information like their birth date and address and is an acceptable photo ID almost anywhere in the Philippines.
That said, it is imperative to keep all the information on your LTO driver’s license as updated as possible. Incorrect addresses in LTO records is not always a result of human error. It can be due to moving into another residence after the driver’s license has been issued. If, for whatever the reasons, you need to change your address, you can simply check on this guide to the process of changing address at the Land Transportation Office (LTO), from the requirements, to the different rules, guidelines, and fees related to doing so.
LTO Revision of Records: Change Address
Solving problems on incorrect or obsolete addresses on your driver’s license is a simple matter of making a request for revision of records at the LTO. Though this type of record change sounds simple, it is an important procedure as having correct biographical information on your IDs is necessary if you want to be able to use the driver’s license properly as a government-issued photo ID and proof of residence, or just to prove that those requesting for proof of address are able to send communications to you via regular post and be able to find you if necessary.
The change in address in LTO essentially ensures that you have a government-issued photo ID that can prove that you are not lying about where you live. As the LTO driver’s license is one of the most credible identity documents around, it is the perfect ID to show as a valid proof of address and identification and that it will be accepted anywhere in the Philippines. For drivers who wish to update their address on their LTO Driver’s License, a simple revision of records should do the trick. This procedure can be done in person, via any LTO office in the Philippines, or online, via the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) online services portal.
Eligibility for Change in Address at the LTO
But who can make a request to change or update LTO records with the correct address? Well, anybody who owns a registered Driver’s License (DL) with an incorrect address can put in a request to do so as long as he intends to update his Driver’s License Record with LTO.
Like every other DL holder though, the applicant must also satisfy the following conditions:
- Able to read and write in Filipino, English, or any major dialect
- Holder of Valid DL or a DL that has not renewed two (2) years after the expiry date
- Driver’s License or Appropriate Affidavit if the DL is Lost or Mutilated
- Has no unsettled traffic violation
Benefits of LTO Revision or Change of Address
Some of the benefits associated with updating your LTO records with your new address include:
- The ability to use a driver’s license to drive freely without worrying about possible legal repercussions from false information on your ID
- A valid driver’s license can serve as a useful government-issued photo ID that is valid almost anywhere in the Philippines.
- It can serve as your proof of address or proof of residence to satisfy the security requirements of many establishments and prove that you are not lying about where you live.
- It is a valid ID issued by a recognized authority and can be used almost everywhere.
Requirements for LTO Revision of Records: Incorrect Birth date
The requirements for making a record change for incorrect birth date with LTO requires submission of the following documents:
- Properly Accomplished Application for Driver’s License
- Current or Expired License
- Barangay Certificate
- Proof of Current Billing
Procedures for LTO Revision of Records: Change Address
Changing addresses in your LTO driver’s records is a lot like the other types of record changes. It requires going through a straightforward process that can either be done online via the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) or in person, by making an actual visit to your preferred LTO branch.
In-Person, via the LTO office
To initiate the request to revise or update your incorrect birth date on LTO records, you may simply follow these steps:
Step 1: Before you actually go for an LTO visit, you need to first prepare the documentary requirements for the information you wish to revise under your current LTO driver’s license.
Step 2: Once the documents are prepared, you will then need to submit them for evaluation and wait for the transaction ID to be generated by the system so you can present it for verification and confirmation of the details.
Step 3: The Evaluator will then check the authenticity and completeness of the documents, then proceed with processing the replacement ID.
Step 4: You will need to get your photo and signature taken for the records.
Step 5: Then, you will be sent to make the payment amounting to P30.00 (regardless of the number of fields revised) at the cashier.
Step 6: Once payment has been processed, you will just need to wait for the new driver’s license reflecting the correct information to be released.
Online, via the LTMS portal
To update your Driver’s License record with a new address via the LTMS portal, here are the steps to follow:
Step 1: Go to the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) portal at portal.lto.gov.ph.
Step 2: Log in or register for an LTMS account.
If the applicant is a new user:
- Click the “Register Now” button.
- Read all the terms and conditions and click the “Yes I accept” button. Then, enter the captcha code and finally click the “Next” button.
- Select the registration type and click the “Next” button.
- Fill in the personal details, contact number, citizenship, and type of license and click the “Submit” button.
- The verification link is sent to the given email ID, using the link the applicant has to create the password.
If the applicant has an existing account:
- Go to the login page and enter the email and password.
- Click the “Sign in” button.
Step 3: Once logged in, the applicant has to select “Licensing.”
Step 5: Select the type of license that you hold: Student Permit, Non-Professional Driver’s License, or Professional Driver’s License.
Step 6: Click Next.
Step 7: Select Revision of Records, then click Next.
Step 8: Choose the type of records you wish to revise: Personal, Address, or Citizenship. For a change in address, choose Address.
Step 9: Click Next.
Step 10: Make the change in the address field, and add information like your house number, street address or village name, municipality, province, and zip code, then click Next.
Step 11: Upload either one of the required documents (Barangay Certificate or Proof of Current Billing) by clicking the Upload icon, selecting the file to upload, and clicking Save. Make sure the file doesn’t exceed the allowed maximum file size of 2046 kb.
Step 12: Once done, click Next.
Step 13: Enter your License Number and License Expiry date.
Step 14: Click Next.
Step 15: Continue with the rest of the procedures.
Step 16: Once the application is completed and submitted, the concerned authority will check the submitted application and document set. If everything is in place, the application will be accepted.
Step 17: The application will then be processed further. All the status updates will be sent via SMS to the applicant’s mobile number or can be seen via the LTMS portal upon login.
Step 18: Once the process is completed, the applicant gets a call from the LTO for instructions on how to complete the transaction.
Step 19: If required, the applicant needs to visit the office for the biometric/encoding process.
Step 20: You might need to wait for a while to get the updated license from the office.
For your reference, here are some few useful things you need to remember when requesting for changing your address on record at the LTO:
- It is important for all driver’s license holders to ensure that their ID cards, regardless if it’s a Student Permit, or a Non-Pro or Pro DL, have the correct biographical information including their address so they can use the DL as a proper ID.
- Once you’ve uploaded a document via the LTMS portal, succeeding transactions will no longer require you to do so again.
- Drivers who are interested in making requests for record changes should ensure that he has no pending cases before the department.
- Drivers with pending cases of violations will need to settle them first for his application for record change to be approved.
- This entire process can be completed within 30 days or as per the timeline advised by the respective department authority.
- To request for updating or revision of your address in your LTO records, you may go online, via the LTMS portal, or visit an LTO branch office.
- You will need to prepare enough funds for the payments of LTO fees and other incidental expenses.
Video: How to Make Requests to Change Address from LTO
Learn about the actual procedures on how to change the address on your driver’s license and how to request for an LTO Revision of Records in general by watching this video from Wander J:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
For your reference, here are some of the most common questions and answers regarding the LTO Revision of Records for incorrect birth dates:
1. Can I make the request to update my address on my LTO Driver’s License online?
Yes. You may initiate the request for revision of records online via the LTMS portal. It’s a simple process, but it will require submission of supporting documents like a Barangay Certificate or Proof of Current Billing.
2. Can I request to update my address when I renew my driver’s license?
Yes. You may process the revision request upon renewal. You may also process change address requests along with other LTO transactions at the same time. The LTO fees will vary though depending on the license type and the other LTO transactions you wish to do along with it.
3. How much does the request to change address at LTO cost?
All types of revision of records requests, including changing the address, at LTO costs P30.00. There might be additional fees and requirements if you intend to do it with other LTO transactions.
An LTO driver’s license is, perhaps, one of the most credible and widely accepted identity documents in the Philippines. Not only does it prove that you are not lying about who you are or where you live, but it also offers other important information to support your claim, including your birth date, photo, and signature. Having said that, it is imperative to ensure that every piece of information in your driver’s license matches with your other identity documents. However, in case you ever get issued with an LTO driver’s license with an incorrect or an old address, we really hope you would find this guide useful.