The Philippines is a vibrant archipelago with bustling cities connected by an extensive network of roads, highways, tollways, and expressways. Having said that, the emergence of modern solutions to streamline the payment process, particularly in tollways—in the form of Radio-Frequency Identification system or RFID—is inevitable. It is also the way to go since technology continues to innovate and transform the way commuters navigate toll booths, as it offers a convenient and efficient alternative to traditional payment methods.
In the Philippines, Autosweep RFID—a Radio-Frequency Identification system—has gained prominence as one of the go-to electronic toll collection methods in the Philippines. Designed to enhance the commuting experience, this contactless system eliminates the need for physical toll payments and long queues, making travel more seamless and time-efficient. In this guide, we looked into how Autosweep RFID works and how you can get one installed on your car so you too can enjoy the benefits it offers.
What is Autosweep RFID
The Autosweep RFID is a popular RFID system employed on some of the major expressways in the country. More than being just a toll payment method; it’s a key that unlocks a seamless and efficient driving experience on SMC-operated tollways in the Philippines. Using Autosweep, drivers can navigate toll gates with ease, contributing to a more connected and accessible transportation infrastructure in the country.
Autosweep RFID is operated by San Miguel Corporation (SMC). It is the go-to RFID solution for tollways managed by SMC, including the Southern Tagalog Arterial Road (STAR) Tollway, South Luzon Expressway (SLEX), Skyway, NAIA Expressway, and Tarlac–Pangasinan-La Union Expressway (TPLEX).
How Autosweep RFID Works
Driving in Philippine expressways with Autosweep RFID offers a convenient and efficient experience for motorists. It is easy and convenient to use, as the very core of the Autosweep RFID system lies in its simplicity and effectiveness.
Understanding how it works along with the benefits associated with using one will help make it more interesting to drivers, encouraging everyone to support the contactless system for a better driving experience.
Here’s how the Autosweep RFID works:
- Sticker Installation: Obtain a small Autosweep RFID sticker from authorized providers and affix the said sticker to your vehicle’s windshield following the provided guidelines.
- Prepaid Account: The Autosweep RFID contains a unique identification code so you will need to link it to a prepaid account. This can be done through online platforms or designated service centers.
- Automatic Deduction: As your vehicle approaches an Autosweep-enabled toll gate, the RFID reader automatically deducts the toll fee from your prepaid account, ensuring a seamless and contactless transaction.
Where to Use Autosweep RFID
Autosweep RFID can be used at various toll booths and expressways across the Philippines. Here are some key locations and expressways where Autosweep RFID is commonly accepted:
- South Luzon Expressway (SLEX)
Motorists can use Autosweep RFID at toll booths along the SLEX, connecting Metro Manila to the southern regions of Luzon.
- Metro Manila Skyway
The Skyway system in Metro Manila, including elevated expressways, accepts Autosweep RFID for toll payments.
- STAR Tollway
Autosweep RFID is applicable at toll plazas along the Southern Tagalog Arterial Road (STAR) Tollway, providing connectivity in the CALABARZON region.
- TPLEX (Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway)
Users can utilize Autosweep RFID for toll transactions on the TPLEX, connecting Central Luzon to the northern provinces.
- NAIAX (Ninoy Aquino International Airport Expressway)
Autosweep RFID is used for toll payments on NAIAX, providing access to and from Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
- MCX (Muntinlupa-Cavite Expressway)
It’s important to note that the Autosweep RFID can only be used in tollways operated by San Miguel Corporation (SMC). Consequently Autosweep RFID cannot be used in expressways and tollways managed and operated by Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation (MPTC). You may, however, go and get an Easytrip RFID for that.
Advantages of Autosweep RFID
Using the Autosweep RFID offers several advantages, all of which are geared towards enhancing the overall convenience and efficiency of the commuting experience:
- Contactless Transactions
Autosweep RFID enables contactless toll transactions, reducing the need for physical cash payments and minimizing contact points during the toll process.
- Time Efficiency
With quick and automatic toll deductions, Autosweep RFID significantly reduces waiting times at toll booths, contributing to a more time-efficient journey for motorists.
The system eliminates the inconvenience of carrying cash or stopping to make manual toll payments, providing a smoother and more convenient travel experience.
- Prepaid System
Autosweep RFID operates on a prepaid system, allowing users to load funds in advance. This not only streamlines transactions but also provides better control over toll expenses.
- Cost Savings
The electronic nature of Autosweep RFID transactions contributes to potential fuel savings, as vehicles can pass through toll booths with minimal deceleration, reducing overall travel time and costs.
- Account Management
Users can easily manage their Autosweep RFID accounts online, checking balances, transaction history, and reloading funds as needed through the official website or mobile app.
- Reduced Traffic Congestion
By facilitating smoother traffic flow at toll booths, Autosweep RFID indirectly contributes to reducing overall congestion on expressways, enhancing the efficiency of the road network.
Autosweep RFID offers a reliable and automated toll payment solution, minimizing the risk of errors associated with manual transactions and ensuring a consistent and accurate billing process.
- Enhanced Travel Experience
Overall, the adoption of Autosweep RFID enhances the travel experience for motorists by providing a modern, efficient, and user-friendly method of toll payment on major expressways in the Philippines.
Requirements for Registering and Installing Autosweep RFID
There are two types of Autosweep RFID: Autosweep To Go and Autosweep Premium. Each type have different set of documentary requirements, so you’d want to check this list out:
Autosweep To Go Account
- Filled-out Autosweep To Go Subscription Form
Autosweep Premium Personal Account
- Filled-out Autosweep RFID subscription agreement for personal account
- Photocopy of:
- One valid ID bearing the photo and signature of the subscriber
- Vehicle’s official receipt (OR) from LTO and certificate of registration (CR)
Autosweep Premium Business Account
- Filled-out Autosweep RFID subscription agreement for business account
- Photocopy of:
- One valid ID bearing the photo and signature of the authorized representative
- Business permit or DTI/SEC registration documents
- BIR registration (BIR 2303)
- Secretary’s Certificate stating the authorized signatories for the Autosweep RFID transaction
- Authorization letter from the authorized signatory
- Photocopy of the vehicle’s official receipt (OR) from LTO and certificate of registration (CR)
If the vehicle is not under the name of the subscriber, prepare the following documents:
- Authorization letter from the registered owner or copy of the notarized deed of sale of the vehicle
- Photocopy of one valid ID of the registered owner
How to Register and Install an Autosweep RFID Sticker
Getting started with Autosweep RFID is a straightforward process:
Step 1. Visit an authorized Autosweep RFID installation center.
Step 2. Fill out the required forms, providing necessary information and presenting valid identification.
Step 3. Submit the required documents, including vehicle registration details.
Step 4. Have the RFID sticker installed on your vehicle’s windshield.
Step 5. Load the initial funds into your RFID account. Once done, you may also check your Autosweep RFID balance via the Autosweep app.
Registering for Autosweep is a quick and straightforward process. Plus, the RFID stickers come at no cost, eliminating the need for any extra expenses during registration. While there’s an initial load requirement based on your vehicle type, it’s a one-time consumable expense.
Video: How to Install Autosweep/Easytrip RFID Stickers
Learn more about how to get an Autosweep RFID sticker installed in your car by watching this video from Pinoy Car Guy:
While Autosweep RFID has significantly improved the toll payment experience, there are still the challenges related to system downtimes as well as insufficient RFID coverage. Make sure you keep yourself informed, especially when it comes to updates from the service provider, and that you maintain alternative payment methods in case you have to face these challenges.
As technology continues to evolve, Autosweep RFID is poised to play an even more integral role in the Philippine transportation landscape. The potential for interoperability with other RFID systems and the incorporation of additional features may further enhance the user experience remains a possibility that would contribute to an even more connected and efficient road network.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
For your reference, here are some common questions and answers regarding Autosweep RFID:
1. How and where can I reload my AutoSweep RFID sticker?
You may top-up your account at any of our RFID stations or the RFID accredited merchant partners such as:
- SM Network: SM Business Centers, SM Bills Payment Centers, SM Hypermart, SM Savemore, Waltermart
- Petron SanMig Food Avenue *Selected Branches Only*
- Shell Select Convenience Store *Selected Branches Only*
- Caltex *Selected Branches Only*
- ECPay Payment Channels
- 7-Eleven Stores
- TouchPay Kiosks
- Bank of Commerce (Over the Counter, ATM, and Online)
- Bayad Center
- Robinson’s Department Store
- Robinsons Supermarket
- Robinsons Easymart
- The MarketPlace
- RD Pawnshop
- Smart Padala
- Light Rail Manila Corp (LRMC)
- Go Beyond
- Super Service Center
- Raquel Pawnshop
- CVM Pawnshop
- Sinag Pawnshop
- RCBC Diskartech
- Shopee Pay
- Home Credit
- EON by Unionbank’s Mobile App
- Unionbank Online
- Maybank Online
- China Bank’s Mobile App
- AUB Express Pay
- Hello Money
- Security Bank
- Robinsons Bank
- BPI Online
- RD Pawnshop
- SNDT Express
2. Does the Autosweep RFID load expire?
No. The Autosweep RFID load does not come with an expiration date.
3. Is there a maintaining balance?
No, but it’s highly recommended to maintain a minimum prepaid toll balance of Php 100 when entering ETC toll gates for a smoother experience.
4. How do I get my Statement of Account (SOA)?
To generate and download your Statement of Account, you can log into your account on the customer web portal: https://autosweeprfidapps.com/balanceinquiry.
5. How do I convert from Autosweep To Go (ATG) to Premium?
To convert from ATG to premium, head to any Autosweep RFID centers with your vehicle, valid ID, and the OR and CR of your vehicle. If you’re not the registered owner, include an authorization from the owner and a photocopy of their ID or a copy of the deed of sale.
6. Can I have my sticker replaced?
Yes. In case your RFID sticker is unreadable or damaged, fill out a RFID Sticker Replacement form and bring Php 200.00 for the replacement fee. Visit any RFID station to have your sticker replaced.
7. If I sell my car with Autosweep RFID, what do I do with the Autosweep RFID sticker installed in the car?
If selling your car with an Autosweep RFID sticker, remove the sticker and surrender the assigned Autosweep RFID card. Fill out a Customer Request form for cancellation, otherwise, any toll charges incurred by the sticker will be charged to the account holder. You may download the form at the Autosweep RFID Website or visit any Autosweep RFID station.
Note: You will need to submit an ADA (Auto Debit Arrangement) Cancellation form if your vehicle was previously enrolled to ADA.
8. Can I transfer the balance of my canceled RFID account to my other RFID account?
Yes. you can transfer the remaining balance of your canceled RFID account to another existing account. Fill out the Balance Transfer request form available on the website. Email it with your valid ID to email@example.com or submit it at any RFID station.
9. How do I link my Autosweep RFID sticker with Easytrip (NLEX, SCTEX, CAVITEX, CALAX, C5 SOUTHLINK)?
You will need to visit any Easytrip Office to apply for an account. Using the Autosweep sticker, Easytrip will assign a separate account for you to top-up separately. Maintain two accounts—one for SMC Toll Roads and one for MPTC Toll Roads.
10. Where can I inquire if I have further questions regarding the Autosweep RFID Program?
For additional questions about the Autosweep RFID Program, contact the Autosweep Hotline at (+632) 5318-TOLL (8655), visit the Autosweep RFID Website, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In a country where the demand for efficient transportation solutions is ever-growing, Autosweep RFID stands out as a beacon of convenience and innovation. As more motorists embrace this electronic toll collection system, the Philippines moves closer to a future where driving and commuting is not just a journey but a seamless experience facilitated by cutting-edge technology.